Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Construction Paper Owls

For second grade art today, we made owls using different sizes of pre-cut squares.  I showed them how to cut a triangle out of a square by tilting their scissors from the bottom corners and cutting to the top of the square.  This was a VERY difficult task for 2nd graders, so I had to draw the diagram on the board so they could use a crayon to draw the lines and then cut out the triangles.

We started with one triangle pointing up at the bottom and overlapping each row of triangles as we added more to shape the body of the owl.  Next, I showed them how to cut circles from squares by cutting off the corners until they have a circle.  We cut out three different sizes of circles and overlapped them to make the eyes.

I had planned on doing this with my Kg. class as well, but after seeing how difficult this was for 2nd graders, I changed my plans!  

Amauria's Owl

Aliyah L.'s Owl


Rodney's Owl

3 comments :

  1. Oh, these are just ADORABLE! What a great lesson, and I especially love the sweet colors and the fact that their eyes don't even match. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why I am obsessed with owls lately, but this is a great project and I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are soo very cute!
    can't wait to try these out with my daughter in our preschool homeschool.

    ReplyDelete